Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Shut Up Uncle Rico

I haven't written anything in the last couple days. Laziness crept in and took control. I started listening to the voices in my head telling me that its useless to spend a few minutes a day writing. The funny thing is that the voices in my head have personalities. I can almost picture a man telling me that no one needs to read what I write and that it's pretentious of me to even put my thoughts out there. He has a mustache and he tucks his t-shirt into his wranglers. He kind of reminds me of uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. Anyways, he talked me out of writing for a couple of days.

I get trapped trying to write something worth reading and my own criticism slows me down. I know that if I'm a perfectionist I will not produce anything because I'm not perfect and I never will be, but  maybe if I can keep myself writing I'll get a little better every day or at least every month and eventually I can shut up uncle Rico. Maybe, eventually I'll communicate something that helps somebody. Maybe I'll just experience the freedom of expression without the need to produce anything great.

No comments:

Post a Comment