Monday, March 24, 2014

I Don't Love My Kids The Same

My kids are different. What is fun to Josiah is not necessarily fun for Asher. What is valuable to Talia is often not valuable to Josiah. Also, I enjoy each of them differently. I love them all but I can't say I love them the same. I don't spend a lot of time trying to convince them that I don't love the others more. They all irritate me differently too. There are things that I love about Asher that Josiah doesn't do. Sometimes I wish they were all some perfect combination of the best parts of each one but then what fun would that be? The things that make Talia special is that she isn't Asher. I don't need another Josiah, I already have one.

Any parent who has more than one kid is shocked at how different they are. I love their uniqueness. I think if I do my job right they will each feel that I love them the most. If I love them well they will feel, as I do, that life is unfair in their favor.

4 comments:

  1. 15-20 years further down that road, I hope all this goes as expected for you, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't sir. I don't have it all figured out. I hope I love them well even when things go south.

      Delete
    2. I have tried to reply to each of your comments on here but this is the first time it has gone through.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jon. This blog reply thing is all quirky. I had a time getting it straight myself. No worries.

      Delete