Friday, March 28, 2014

We Should Just Know

I've been reading Leviticus. As I read I am amazed at the laws in the book. You would think there are some things that you wouldn't have to say. You would think that we would just know some things are wrong. But we don't know. We need to be told. We need to be corrected. We need to be punished for doing wrong.

I have three kids. Because I am a parent I have said some things that I never thought I would have to say. You have to teach kids everything or else they will destroy themselves. You can't just assume they'll know. They don't. Not only do you have to tell them, you have to tell them over and over, and even then you're still not safe.

Did God really have to tell them not to sleep with their pets or their parents or their aunts and uncles? Did God really have to tell them not to kill their own children in honor of pagan gods? Yes He did.

We are so prone to destruction. We think that we are more civilized than the ancient cultures because we were gifted with an extra dose of common sense. Nope. We are a generation that has been trained to understand that certain things are wrong. We have made a lot of progress as a people because we have come to agree with what should be self evident truth. But we are rapidly moving back the other direction. Like the two year old who wants to lick the toilet seat we ask "Why is this wrong?"

1 comment: