Sunday, March 23, 2014

Why Do I Go To Church?

Why do I go to church? Every Sunday morning for my entire life I have been in church. Ok, maybe I've missed a few weeks here and there but for the most part I have been there. As a kid I didn't enjoy it much. I didn't like getting all spiffed up, with my hair combed and my teeth brushed. I didn't like singing the songs. I didn't like listening to the long winded preachers. So, how is it that after thirty six years and the ability to make my own decisions, I still find myself in church on a Sunday morning?

The honest answer is, I love it. I love being with the people. I love listening to the long winded preacher. I love singing the songs. How did I change? When did I change? This might be a bit personal for a third blog post, but as I think about it, I think the change happened when my dad died. I was fourteen and it was the first time I was faced with the reality of death. I began seeking answers to the questions that I thought were the most important questions anyone could ask. Why are we here and What happens next?