Sunday, March 23, 2014

Why Do I Go To Church?

Why do I go to church? Every Sunday morning for my entire life I have been in church. Ok, maybe I've missed a few weeks here and there but for the most part I have been there. As a kid I didn't enjoy it much. I didn't like getting all spiffed up, with my hair combed and my teeth brushed. I didn't like singing the songs. I didn't like listening to the long winded preachers. So, how is it that after thirty six years and the ability to make my own decisions, I still find myself in church on a Sunday morning?

The honest answer is, I love it. I love being with the people. I love listening to the long winded preacher. I love singing the songs. How did I change? When did I change? This might be a bit personal for a third blog post, but as I think about it, I think the change happened when my dad died. I was fourteen and it was the first time I was faced with the reality of death. I began seeking answers to the questions that I thought were the most important questions anyone could ask. Why are we here and What happens next?

1 comment:

  1. How there can be soooo many different people... and soooo many different roads we all walk... that brings sooooo many different sums or outcomes to who and what we end up being... This just never ceases to captivate me.

    Thanks Jonny. I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete